Saturday, April 9, 2011

What a circus!

It has been another fast and fun week at l'uccello, we finally finished all of the hot air balloons for Kleins Perfumery's Easter window display last week. So this week has been all about circus girls for Kozminsky Jewellers' new window display. But something curious is going on, I have been obsessing about circus girls for months and all of a sudden there are circuses and speigel tents everywhere. It is of course Comedy Festival time in Melbourne. the above image is one of three speigel tents in town at the moment. So I am in giddy showgirl heaven with so many lovely old references to see. I have done a little tour of them all and then down to St Kilda, the Moscow Circus is also in town and Luna park is a perennial favourite.

Quick catch up from last week, these are the hot air balloons at Kleins Perfumery, we used fabrics form this years range of Lavender Heat Pillows and Scented Pillows for Linen. So if you need a new heat pillow to keep cosy this winter pop into Kleins Perfumery in Fitzroy, Muse Beauty Boutique in Canberra or l'uccello.

This is the first of a series of circus girls we are making, all of them are dressed in costumes made from rare antique trims, divine vintage ribbons and other special pieces of moire, velvet, lace and silk from my collection. I wanted them to look like they came from some old side show/circus display, after painting them I have applied layers of glaze to make them look old and a little shabby.


The Famous Speigel Tent outside the Melbourne Arts Centre St. Kilda Rd

Down by the river next to Federation Square there is another Speigel tent, featured in the top picture, along the way I saw this lovely little carousel.

And a Ferris wheel

In the city square is my favourite, called the Bosco




The big top on St Kilda Beach, I forgot my camera so apologies the phone photos are a bit blurry.


I was a little deflated by the entirely inflated facade and entrance to the circus, I love old circus and side show art. So feeling like I needed a little more romance I finished my tour at Luna Park.




It took me a while to find the laughing clowns, they are right down the back and there is only 4 of them, I remember a great long row, all busy with kids. I used to love the way the paint was so thick and chipped from having another coat of paint applied over and over again for so many years. These clowns don't have that pedigree but they were fun never the less, and I won a whirly gig!


 So whirly gig in hand I finished my tour, a little sad that the old Giggle Palace and other such things are gone but very happy that so many of these lovely old amusements remain.



No comments:

Post a Comment